In this video I discuss how to eat better, and I give you some ways to eat better. Healthy eating is not easy, but it can be done with some patience.
Healthy eating is not about going on a strict diet, or depriving yourself of the foods you love. It is about having more energy, a stronger immune system, feeling better, and improving overall health. So, lets take a look at 7 simple ways to eat better.
1. Make changes gradually. Many people want changes to happen fast, so they dive in head first eating nothing but healthy foods, and they can keep this up for a while, but as time goes on, willpower will eventually decline, inevitably leading them back to where they started. You have to give yourself ample time, this way you can slowly make the transition, you have to learn to walk before you learn to run.
2. Understand serving sizes. Over eating is a major issue for many people. Having an understanding of what a serving size actually is will keep you from over consuming food, which can help against weight gain.
3. When you start out, make sure you get 1 serving of fruit, and 1 serving of veggies per day. The idea is to get your brain to start thinking about fruits and veggies on a daily basis. As time goes on, increase these servings.
4. Have some protein with all meals. Protein has many important functions in the body, and it also takes longer to digest, making you feel fuller. You can even have high protein snacks such as nuts or seeds to curb your hunger throughout the day.
5. Think before you eat. Take a minute before you decide what to eat, and evaluate. Does this meal I am about to eat have some fruit, veggies, and protein. Are the portion sizes not too large, and am I actually going to enjoy this meal, or just force it down. You have to eat foods you actually like the taste of. Thinking before you eat goes a long way.
6. Eat junk food. Yes, you heard me, eat junk food. Just do it in moderation, and slowly decrease the amount of junk food your eating over time. It is almost impossible to completely eliminate eating a food that you love, and you shouldn’t have to. Lets say you love sweets, say cupcakes, rather than gulping down a whole cupcake at one time, eat half of it now, and the other half later in the day. This way you have satisfied your sweet cravings twice in one day, with one sweet rather than 2.
7. When eating out share, or wrap up half of the meal to go. Restaurant portions are gigantic. And most restaurant foods are loaded with unhealthy fats, large amounts of sodium, or large amounts of sugar. By sharing or wrapping half of the meal, you are not overeating, and you are at least limiting the amount of unhealthy food you are putting in your body at one time.
9. Failure is ok. It is ok to fail. If you have a few days, or even a week where everything you eat is garbage, its ok. Don’t let that completely derail you from your ultimate goal of eating healthier. Eating healthier is about changing your life and your lifestyle. Change is really hard to do. its not if you fall, its do you get back up.
These are only a few of the ways to eat healthier, the most important thing to do is to change your mindset towards food. Many people, myself included, eat foods based simply on taste, not on nutrition. Increasing your awareness is key. Before you eat ask yourself 2 questions, am I going to enjoy the taste of this food, and is this food going to nourish my body and improve my health?